Saturday 14 February 2015

#014: Fashion Week: Day 2: Jill Stuart, Alexander Wang: Review

Today, I originally planned on reviewing the collection by Christian Siriano, but after seeing a few snaps of Jill Stuart on Instagram, I had to voice my opinions once again. I guess you could say I was equally happy and taken by the collection. Firstly, let me begin with the elephant in the room; doesn't it kinda remind you of a certain collection; created by a certain creative mastermind; for a leading luxury fashion label...? Nicolas Ghesquiere, yes? I thought so too. Once Ghesquiere made his fashion-return for Vuitton, it was inevitable that he would, once again be totally ripped off. Whether that's a good thing or not, we'll ever know. I would personally find it as flattery. But I didn't just get the Ghesquiere vibe, I also strangly enough got the Hedi Slimane for Saint Laurent vibe. Whether thats from the mismatch of prints or quite bluntly cutting and pasting the silhouettes we've seen a mere- 6 months ago. But the resemblance of Vuitton is uncanny.

Having said that, it is in fact a great collection. Throughout, there isn't a fluid theme besides checks and stripes in an array of colours and fabrications. As per usual for at least all autumn/winter collections, coats where on almost every girl, some above the hips, above the knee and my personal favourites, mid-calf.





















The two looks above are my personal favourites, simply by how simple they are. The look to the left includes a chevron mini-skirt, a nude sweater, fascinated by a brown suede belt and of course an above the knee coat. Despite being a literal copy of Louis Vuitton Autumn/Winter 2014 look, it is quite stunning and very retro, which is a trend I'm loving right now. As for the second look, words can't describe how much I'm loving it. A black velvet skirt and blazer combo with rich silver metallic thread creating a pinstripe skirt-suit. Over all, it was a great collection and will certainly sell and we'll most likely see it on the streets come next autumn/winter.

Talk about intense. When watching the live stream, I honestly had no idea what we were in for. I guess the Punk/Gothic era has risen once again. As soon as the pounding music began, my back instantly tensed up and with reason. This season, Alexander Wang didn't give us the Raver Girl from last reason, basically the complete opposite. The juxtaposed palette of black and a smear hint of red is not exactly refreshing, anything but that, but a girl and mood he has never known us before. It's strange, despite the punk era growing tremendously in the late 70s, it's a huge testament that Wang has taken the very "trendy" 70s movement but doing it in a way that is frighteningly brilliant. As previously stated, the palette wasn't exactly diverse in exception of the fabrications, ranging from valves, leathers, metallics, silks and satins and of course the brilliantly executed knitwear.

Typically, the whole gothic/punk idea doesn't interest me, if anything it repulses me. However, ever since myself and a few of my friend's got our new college project, my friend, Aoibhinn, who has decided to focus her studies on the idea, I slowly but surely found an interest. Although, the collection Wang just showcased, it's growing much deeper. It was pretty hard to pick two looks that I really liked, therefore I've decided to insert a few.





Seeing as I loved basically all the collection, and have carefully selected a few of my favourites as shown above, I will only analyse two just like my other posts. Firstly, allow me to talk about middle look on the top level. It consisted of a knitted v-neck sweater where around the collar is detailed with silver metallic studs. Underneath was styled with a leather turtle-neck top, the leather trousers are cut at 3/4 length. And to conclude the look, a pair of rather sticking snow boots decked out in of course more metallic studs. I love this look. I have been noticing these deep v-neck sweaters around ever since Rag & Bone shown them in white for their sprint/summer 2014 collection. And finally, one of the finale looks which is shown from the far right in the bottom level. The coat is EVERYTHING. Shown in metallic gold foil with a fur trimmings on the hood. The look is completed with a chainmail skirt with silver metallic balls hanging off the hem with a velvet bra-top. 

11 comments:

  1. Awesome looks!

    Mel
    www.girlandthepolkadot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. stylish
    http://melodyjacob1.blogspot.com/2015/02/statement-necklace-with-happiness.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the many posts I read today that I really really like!!! i love it dear ♥

    New fun post on the blog
    http://contemporaryboy.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm following you now on GFC! You have an amazing blog :)

    Giada, blogger of Being Over the Moon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Now following you back on GFC and Bloglovin. Can you also ff me on Bloglovin? :)

      Delete
  6. Great post!! I love the collection and the fact that they can be worn. Lol! Some of these designers sometimes have some dramatic collections strolling down the runway. :)
    *Appreciate your visit on my blog. Have a blessed week ahead.*

    missymayification.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome post! Very lovely collections too. Happy Monday dear! :)

    xoxo;
    STYLEFORMANKIND.COM
    Facebook / Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am loving the chevron print skirt :)
    Would you like to follow each other on GFC?

    http://everythingthatclicks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review dear. Loved.
    Have a lovely week ahead.
    x

    www.kelpasdiary.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your blog, I'm loving the 70s trend at the moment

    www.sophieslittlesecrets.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Once again, I thank you for reading my blog. Please feel free to share a thought on the post as I love other people's views on the selected topic. Also, I would appreciate if you took the extra 20 seconds to officially follow the blog; as a thank you, I will follow yours.

Make sure to check out my social media feeds:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/eamonncollinsdesigns
Instagram: https://instagram.com/eamonncollins/