Friday 13 February 2015

#013: Fashion Week: Day 1: Wes Gordon, Jason Wu: Review

Today, 13th of February marks the second official day of New York Fashion Week where the likes of Kate Spade, Zimmermann, and Rebecca Minkoff showcased their latest Autumn/Winter 2015 collections. But for today, I will be reviewing both Wes Gordon and of course Jason Wu. The reason I chose these two specific designers, is that they embody the classic "American Fashion", sexy with an injection of a sportswear influence.

It's no secret that New York is notorious for their commerciality and Wes Gordon certainly proved that with this collection. The collection spammed 32 looks. The first quarter of the collection consisted of the same cliche New York Fashion Week separates; the charcoal and grey wool mimics the tough surroundings of the 'concrete jungle where dreams are made of' (sorry, I had to). Personally, from look 15-24, the collection was perfection; 70s prints enthused with lace trimmings. The hand-painted aesthetics adds a personal touch the otherwise boring collection. The pinks, yellows and oranges adds a refreshing approach to an autumn/winter collection. Which it needed. The finale looks included lace tops, doubled slitted skirts. There were two looks specifically I thought were beautifully designed. One being the look to the left below. An embroidered deep v-neck shirt dress complemented by a boxy dinner jacket and a pair of ankle boots. As for the second look below, one word comes to mind, which is DEVINE. The skinny-strapped black dress with two pretty high slits with embroidered lace gracing from the legs up could easily be mistaken for a Spring/Summer dress.

Overall, the collection didn't exactly spark too much excitement other than about 5 looks. I understand that the label Wes Gordon is still growing as a label, but hopefully over the course of the next few seasons he experiments with more experimental fabrications. 

As for Jason Wu, one word is simple enough to describe the general, well everything, which is "wealth". The collection began with rich shades of military greens, with crocodile embossed leathers, courageously large fur coats and scarves. Wu is genuinely known for his extremely luxurious fabrics and body-commplemeting silhouettes. As for the palette, it isn't too exciting or "out there" other than the shades of berry red. Another thing Wu decided to continue with is the hem length. Mid-calf is very flattering and could easily be pulled off by both the older generation and also the younger, which he has achieved numerous times in sales for both Jason Wu and Hugo Boss. 

The two looks above are my favourite from the entire collection, why? because they look extremely expensive. For example, the first look on the left is very modern. The whole black look is very Kanye West x Prada. The cropped jacket is very suiting to the collection making it look as young and youthful as possible, because Wu has the tendency to dip too much into the more mature customer (I know they are most likely his key-clientel) It's very working-girl. The look on the right is my number one favourite. Despite my hatred for real fur, I really love this look. The satin jumpsuit is truly beautiful. It is very smart and could easily be worn from day to night which everyone likes, right? I just hope Dakota Johnson wears it to a 'Fifty Shades of Grey Premiere'. Let's be honest, she'd look incredible!

Overall, it hasn't been a too shabby day for fashion. I just hope it gets more exciting tomorrow with Alexander Wang who always delivers and Christian Siriano. 

4 comments:

  1. stylish
    i am following you
    http://melodyjacob1.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing!

    Please check some of the links on my post
    http://helderschicplace.blogspot.com/2015/02/romwe-wishlist.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this is so adorable.Would you like to follow each other?
    Let me know on my blog if you follow me and I will follow you back after it. Thank you!♥
    Www.tomntins.blogspot.kr

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post. Love it. If you will we can follow each other, just let me know, dear? Follow for Follow? Kiss

    http://mylovelyfashionbih.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Once again, I thank you for reading my blog. Please feel free to share a thought on the post as I love other people's views on the selected topic. Also, I would appreciate if you took the extra 20 seconds to officially follow the blog; as a thank you, I will follow yours.

Make sure to check out my social media feeds:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/eamonncollinsdesigns
Instagram: https://instagram.com/eamonncollins/