Sunday 28 December 2014

#012: Trends, they're not always good...

neglect
nɪˈɡlɛkt/
verb
  1. 1.
    fail to care for properly.
    "the old churchyard has been sadly neglected"
    synonyms:fail to look after, fail to care for, fail to provide for, leave alone, abandon;
_______________________________________________________


There is no denying that I have neglected this blog over the past few weeks, if not months. I guess starting collage was a more demanding responsibility that I was not prepared for. Thankfully, I've fashioned myself a timetable where once a week I'll create a blog post. Who knows what the subject will be. Only time will tell. 

Some of you may not know the struggle for a boy who's friends drag him into high-street shops (like River Island & Topshop); the activity itself, I love, but being an active fashion follower, the ability to reference basically 80% of the stores items to designers is irritating both for me, and I'm sure them. I don't know, I guess it has become an unhealthy habit that I can't seem to shake. I guess it could be worse, I could be an active cocaine abuser, right?While the four fashion weeks progress from day to day, one can see a handful of trends developing. Once the images hit the internet, the design teams from the major fashion highstreet chains are on the ball before the runway garments even hit production. 

#1: Thigh-highs


Olivia Palermo wearing 
Stuart Weitzmen thigh-highs
Anyways, enough of my life anecdotes of my daily struggles. I've created this post to express both my concern and sheer delight of the trends that have grown over the past month or two. Let's begin with the good then the bad & ugly. Firstly, thigh-highs...need I go on? As you know, they've been around for decades, but it was only been a few seasons where I've seen them raise again. One would naturally associate thigh-highs with Kat Slater, the street's hoe (for you known UK/IRL folk, she is a character from the soup-oprah, Eastenders).

The likes of Rihanna, Beyoncé and Olivia Palermo are notorious for wearing the "trendy" staple. Clearly they've made a huge comeback, but will they survive several years, who knows? They're clearly not functional for the summer seasons so it's a guessing game. We'll just enjoy them now that we have them. In spite of being the shoe of the season, it's essential that they're worn in a heel or wedge; we don't need a baggy flat situation like the early 2000's, kay? Also, the tighter the better.



#2: Ripped Jeans

Rosie Huntington-Whiteley styling
the jeans more casually.
Kim Kardashian taking a more
aggressive approach to the trend.
Now onto the next one. I'm a bit indecisive about this trend. It has been around for many years, like the thigh-highs but recently hit the fashion-lot's radar again. Ripped Jeans. More specifically, black skinny jeans with a rip in both of the knees. At first, I was against the entire concept, lets be honest, some take took it to a whole new level. It would be safer if I didn't get too much into it. There was a brief stage where I actually quite liked the trend but as people took notice, you couldn't turn a corner without seeing a poor teenage girl trying to pull the look off. Frankly, it was a despite attempt. Sadly. All I can say is that I wish it doesn't follow into the Spring/Summer months. We don't need to see them in pretty pastel colours. Let's just keep them for the autumn/winter months. Chewing on the idea, don't they defeat the purpose? Jeans are warm, multiple holes will surely send a breeze up your, you know what...?

#3: Juju Shoes

A caption isn't necessary... 
There isn't many things that I HATE, but my God. Even though it's Winter where the temperature is in it's low-teens, people still find it socially acceptable to wear these horrid shoes. My personal opinion, I find them uglier than Crocs, yes, Crocs. I never thought it could be possible, but there you go. They come in an assortment of colours from the brightest pinks to the darkest blacks. They're typically a shinny and sometimes transparent rubbery material. They are indeed very 90's early 2000's. They don't seem to be slowing down anytime soon. I guess when the summer months hit, I can only make eye contact with the wearer (I should be doing that anyways, oops).

#4: The Blanket Cape


Olivia Palermo one of the first to wear
the stylish Autumn/Winter staple
On to a much lighter trend: The Blanket Cape. From the moment Cara Delevingne set her foot on the Burberry Spring/Summer 2015 runway, I knew we were onto a winner. Despite the practical aspect of the blanket cape, it's also very stylish. If you're not prepared to settle with the est. £1,000 price tag, the highstreet have rinsed the trend by recreating the cape with many prints and patterns. There isn't must more what I can say about the blanket cape without pouring my heart out. I lurrrve it. You should get on. 

If you think I'm missing out any other trends that are equally brilliant and horrifying, make sure to leave a little comment. Please follow this blog too to say up to date.

Make sure to follow me on my social networking sites too:
Instagram: Eamonn Collins
Facebook: facebook.com/eamonncollinsdesigns
Snapchat: eamonncollins

2 comments:

  1. Great post! So insightful! I am not a big fan of juju shoes either...thanks for sharing!

    xx
    www.mellowyellowblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Your blog looks very nice.
    Would you like to support each other on
    GFC and Bloglovin?

    kisses
    http://shinkusara.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete

Once again, I thank you for reading my blog. Please feel free to share a thought on the post as I love other people's views on the selected topic. Also, I would appreciate if you took the extra 20 seconds to officially follow the blog; as a thank you, I will follow yours.

Make sure to check out my social media feeds:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/eamonncollinsdesigns
Instagram: https://instagram.com/eamonncollins/