Wednesday 24 September 2014

#011: Fashion Week Chit Chat PART3...

So yeah, Fashion Month is almost over. Excuse me while I wipe the tears from my sobbing eyes! On the plus side, Paris just started so YAY! As for now, let me focus on Milan Fashion Week were fashion powerhouses like Prada and Roberto Cavalli were the latest to presented their Spring/Summer 2015 collection. Milan is never a city that excites me unlike London and Paris. They're more money driven; leathers, furs among many other fabrications are always on show. Not typically my thing, but I guess they're someone else's. Before changing my mind, I was planning on giving a short review on Moschino's latest collection created by American designer, Jeremy Scott, but let's face it I'll be here all day expressing my inner anger at how disgusted I was. Maybe another time. Most likely not. Today I'll be giving a short brief on both the Versace and DSquared2 shows.

Asking someone with very little fashion knowledge where the house of Versace is from, 95% of the time get it correct with Milan, Italy. You can't have Italy without Versace. It's like Britain's Burberry. America's Oscar De La Renta, and  Frances' Chanel. It's their country's trademark. Despite being one of the more "tacky" brands, you can't deny the luxury seeping from safety-pin dresses. Each item is incredible crafted to last you a lifetime.



This season, the Versace collection was a somewhat interesting. They suffered a little identity crisis. At this stage of the brand's legacy, should this be happening? The collection began strong with tailored pieces from fingertip length blazers to boxer brief elasticated waist mid-length skirts. They could have easily have been backup pieces from the Versus Versace show in New York. As the collection progressed, a much stronger sports reference what we've seen at 3/4 of the cities from leather lazer cut skirts and crop tops. Thankfully, the icon that is the Versace silk skirt made a few appearances; one in pastel tones and another in bold. The final looks where the pieces that generated the most buzz both inside the Versace show and the online world. There is no denying that they're Versace is there? Colour coated in thousands of Swarovski crystals, models walked with the sass they bring for Versace - thinking about it, it's not surprising; it's Donatella Versace, you guys!


 

Dean and Dan, both brothers, both twins. The pair are Canadian fashion designers based in Milan. Season after season, they've became Milan's show of theatricality. Where models portray characters the pair set them. It still baffles me as to why the pair continue to show in Milan considering how "American" their style is. They stick out like sore thumbs in Milan because of the culture clash between the two cities. Maybe that's their plan. Showing in America, they would sink into the background like most brands.

It happens season after season, so I'm not going to go into much depth, but in each collection, there is always so much going on. Too many ideas that don't make sense when you connect the looks together. It begins to look out of place and more often than not, it destroys the collections general mood. It's always difficult to pinpoint what may or may not have been the twin's inspiration. Judging by the opening looks, it's pretty much clear that Popart as played a part in the collection. Priemerly based on the colours and geometric shapes that fills the silhouettes. Choosing lighter in weight fabrics would make the opening looks more appealing rather than look thick and stocky. The collection progressed with a huge tangerine orange skirt that was dripping in huge floral-like ruffles; just a little misplaced if you ask me. Maybe for another collection, boys. So yeah, it was rather confuffled. The final two looks where just WOW, I'm still trying to process whether or not that's a positive or a negative. They featured silhouettes and colours opposite from the remainder of the collection. It's strange, because I don't think the same woman would buy the some looks from the start-middle and the ending. For a commercial brand, their identity seems to be bundled up. They seem to sell so what do I know.

PART4 will take slightly longer giving the fact that it's almot 2 weeks long. On the plus side, I'll be uploading a new post this weekend on my 'Top Picks #1' for Autumn/Winter so make sure you follow!

2 comments:

  1. Some of these are really pretty!
    I'm following you now on GFC!

    Have a great day,
    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great rundown on Fashion Week, I absolutely love the pieces you included.

    www.kindoflovely.com || AUS Fashion/Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete

Once again, I thank you for reading my blog. Please feel free to share a thought on the post as I love other people's views on the selected topic. Also, I would appreciate if you took the extra 20 seconds to officially follow the blog; as a thank you, I will follow yours.

Make sure to check out my social media feeds:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/eamonncollinsdesigns
Instagram: https://instagram.com/eamonncollins/