Monday 23 February 2015

#016: Academy Awards: Red Carpet: Review...

Last night was when the award season concludes. The biggest night in Hollywood where cinema and fashion join hand-in-hand...The 87th Academy Awards. There is no denying that designers and stylists pull out all the stops for the penultimate and prestigious award ceremony!

Okay, so all in all, it was quite the night in terms of fashion. Allow me to begin with the best dressed.

There is no denying that Emma Stone is one of Hollywood's most beautiful beings. Last night she wore a rather striking Elie Saab Haute Couture gown. At first, I had reservations on whether or not I liked this gown. Yes, the colour is somewhat unconventional, especially for the Oscars of all places. However the shade of her hair along with her completion is the perfect combination. Adding the peach lip was necessarily otherwise she would have looked washed out. Stone once again cements her place on my Best Dressed List.









Do you ever look at a face and wonder "where did I see her?" yes, that happened to me. Not to offend her, her as in Margot Robbie it's just I'm terrible with names. It's rather embarrassing actually, especially when starting your first year in college. Anyways, wouldn't she be the sight to cure a hangover? Wearing a $1.5m Van Cleef and Arpels zipper necklace to accompany her Saint Laurent gown, Robbie looks stunning; showing resemblance to a modern-day Marilyn Monroe. Typically long baggy sleeves never float my boat, because they often look unflattering, but my oh my. She does look dazzling thanks to that beautiful necklace.

Despite there being a handful of Best Dressed Actresses, I was quite disappointed in several ladies from Anna Kendrick to Scarlett Johansson, and I'm pretty sure I'll have my head on the chopping block for having Christy Teigen. It does boil down to personal preferences, right?

When it comes to reviewing red carpets events, I'm such an ass. One minute I'm totally in love with dress then the next it's the most hideous thing I've seen. Often vice-versa. I'm sure we're all like that...I hope. Anyways, Christy Teigen is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful woman in the world, and she always looks ravishing in whatever she wears. Unfortunately, this time I wasn't as "blown-away" as I had anticipated. On the runway, the Elie Saab gown is magnificent, but on Teigen, it looks cheap and honestly unflattering. Whether that's down to her styling team with make-up I don't know. It seems messy. I know a quite a lot of people like this look, but I personally find it a cliche gown worn by a performer/nominee's wife/partner. Oops....






There is the same amount of plastic injected into Nicole Kidman's face and the number of sequins on her dress. Words can not describe how disgraced I am about how horrible this dress looks. Nicolas Ghesquiere is probably one of the most talented fashion designer of this century, but could never really understand the red carpet - this dress certainly proves that. I know I'm quite harsh when it comes to this look, but when you're creative director for the most powerful brand in the world, Louis Vuitton, there is no excuse to send a dress like this down the most prestigious red carpet. I don't know whether its the sickly flem colour or the distracting Vuitton trunk clutch. I personally don't mind the red belt at her waist, because it complement's the colour of her hair.


This year, I guess my expectations have been set too high...maybe next year!

10 comments:

  1. Great honest review and lol to the Nicole Kidman one. I love some of these gowns, but they don't blow me away.
    Great post, dear! :))

    missymayification.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma Stone is so poised and timeless looking, I love her! Elie Saab is hands down my favourite dress designer, the intricacy of his designs is amazing.

    Great post Eamonn! :)
    x

    http:/www.illustrationsbyciaraleanne.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank`s for sharing with us your opinion about the Oscar`s night. I enjoyed your review!
    Steam Carpet Cleaning Chiswick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! Reese Witherspoon was lovely, and Emma Stone look stunning. I'd love if you checked out my blog, and if you like it, can we follow each other on “GFC” (blog followers), “Google+”, and bloglovin? I promise I’ll follow you back <3

    x♥x♥

    "Health & Beauty"




    ReplyDelete
  5. Your comments about Nicole Kidman made me laugh... I was watching Fashion Police last night and they said something about how it looked like she picked up her dress from a hobby store... gosh, I don't know why she picked such an unflattering dress...

    xo,
    Amber
    All the Cute
    Latest Post: Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post! There were so many great outfits this year :)
    - C
    Claudine Converses

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! Reese looks statuesque for me. Have a great Friday. :)

    Hope you can guest post on the next awards season on my blog. HAHA

    xoxo;
    STYLEFORMANKIND.COM
    Facebook / Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  8. cute blog and post! thanks for your comment we follow you!
    xx
    Bego
    Tenemos nuevo post!
    simply2wear.com
    Blogloving
    Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, I also wasn't wowed this year but think that Keira Knightly looked amazing!!

    Have a fantastic day,
    -Kati

    ReplyDelete

Once again, I thank you for reading my blog. Please feel free to share a thought on the post as I love other people's views on the selected topic. Also, I would appreciate if you took the extra 20 seconds to officially follow the blog; as a thank you, I will follow yours.

Make sure to check out my social media feeds:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/eamonncollinsdesigns
Instagram: https://instagram.com/eamonncollins/