Sunday 21 September 2014

#009: Fashion Week Chit Chat PART1...

For those of you who are active Fashion Week followers, you'll understand the struggle with keeping up with (most of) the shows from Marc Jacobs in New York; Mary Katrantzou in London and a few hours ago, Dolce & Gabbana in Milan. It's difficult. Despite having all the shows at your fingertips from your laptop. I pity the models and editors; jetting from country to country. Lets be honest, we all want that, right? I know I do. 

A week before New York Fashion Week began, it was my mission to report a few of the shows from each city. Clearly I underestimated the triumphant task. As per usual, celebrities and bloggers filled the front rows from Rihanna (at basically every New York event), Cara & Kate at Burberry with Amy Adams sitting comfortably at MaxMara. I genuinely cringe when celebrities sit front row. I find it tacky and meaningless. If your brand can't generate enough press without celebrities, evidently something isn't right. Your clothes should speak; not the celebrities you paid thousands for. 


Let's talk New York fashion: I have a huge soft spot for Victoria Beckham. I have no idea where it grew and why. Maybe it's because we have a similar style when it comes to designing. Clean, crisp and simply modern. Season to season, the stalker in me seems to grow bigger and bigger. It can't be wrong can it? Anyways, VB presented her Spring/Summer collection with a clean pallet with a mix of black, whites, beige and rather surprisingly pink and yellow floral prints. Beckham took a huge departure this season by leaving her "young spirit" behind; producing a rather mature collection where hems feel mid-shin, button ups in strong fabrics, and genuinely dressing a much wiser woman. Exposed seams and darts were played on canvas. Belts were also included in the majority of the looks - pulling the waist closer in true Victoria Beckham style. Not only bags did she produce this season, but Victoria debuted her shoe collection with some strappy velvet heels and rather surprisingly flats, yes, flats, who'da thought that!?


Another show I tend to look forward to is Alexander Wang, who else? This season, he continued with his "raver" girl where models walked the runway wearing neon in various silhouettes from technical body conscious dresses to Nicola Ghesquière ripoff crop tops. Like many shows this season, sportswear was widely referenced throughout. Textured mesh bomber jackets to a more literal approach of creating incredible oversize "sneaker" clutch! I must applaud Wang; season after season, he always experiments with  texture and this season was no exception - embossed neoprene mini dresses and combining three fabrications from plastic-type mesh, neoprene and leather. The crop tops looked great if I say so myself! One thing that genuinely concerns me is the constant referencing of other designer's work. It's like he's doing it deliberately to spit the critics. 

Make sure to keep your eyes peeled. #010: Fashion Week Chit Chat PART2... (London) is coming very soon. Make sure to keep up-to-date with me on social media. Instagram: eamonncollins // Facebook: Eamonn Collins' // SnapChat: eamonncollins

No comments:

Post a Comment

Once again, I thank you for reading my blog. Please feel free to share a thought on the post as I love other people's views on the selected topic. Also, I would appreciate if you took the extra 20 seconds to officially follow the blog; as a thank you, I will follow yours.

Make sure to check out my social media feeds:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/eamonncollinsdesigns
Instagram: https://instagram.com/eamonncollins/